The Marie Curie Hospital
Category: First Edition
London, Hanbury, Tomsett & Co Ltd, The Tay Press. .
First edition; 8vo; photographic illustrations, original stapled printed wrappers. Together with the hospital's annual report for the year ending 31st December, 1945. Founded by medical women for the "radiological treatment of women suffering from cancer and allied diseases", the Marie Curie Hospital opened in 1929. The building was converted into a 30-bed hospital which was to be staffed entirely by women. Marie Curie was most interested in the project and allowed her name to be given to the hospital. In 1944 the buildings, except for a new wing and a shelter, were totally destroyed by a high explosive bomb, fortunately with no casualties. The radium, stored in steel cylinders, was buried beneath the demolished building and not recovered for almost three weeks. This present volume which includes a biography of Curie was written to raise funds to rebuild the hospital. A fine copy of a very item with some light rusting to staples. Cross & Ravenscroft-Hulme A42a